The first President of the Republic of Kazakhstan - Elbasy, by virtue of his historical mission, has the right to lead the Security Council as the Chairman for life.
The main tasks of the Security Council are planning, reviewing and evaluating the implementation of the main directions of state policy in the field of ensuring national security, strengthening the country's defense capability, ensuring law and legal order.
To fulfil the tasks assigned to it, the Security Council develops and adopts relevant decisions and recommendations, coordinates the activities of state bodies and organizations.
The Security Council coordinates
The activities of law enforcement agencies, central and local executive bodies, as well as analyses draft laws and controls the implementation of regulatory documents within its jurisdiction.
The main functions of the Security Council:
- Coordination of the activities of state bodies and organizations in the implementation of measures in the field of ensuring national security and the international positions of the country, the state’s defense capability, law and legal order
- Coordination of law enforcement and special state bodies in order to ensure national security and implement the decisions of the Security Council
- Monitoring and evaluation of the condition of strategic documents implementation of the state in the most important areas of the country's development
- Comprehensive analysis and evaluation of state programs, draft laws, important foreign policy and other state-significant initiatives, as well as the development of the situation in the country, world and regional trends, forecasting internal and external threats to national security, developing proposals and determining measures to their prevention and counteraction
- Hearing of the annual report of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the results and main activities in the field of ensuring national security, defense capability, law and legal order
- Hearing the first heads of state bodies on the implementation of state policy in the field of national security and national defense capability
- Organization of control over the implementation of the laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the field of national security, defense capability, law and legal order, including the effective use of funds allocated for these purposes
- Discussion of candidates recommended for appointment to positions of the first heads of central and local executive bodies of regions, cities of republican significance and the capital, as well as state bodies directly subordinate and accountable to the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan
The structure of the Security Council
is formed by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan in coordination with the Chairman of the Security Council.